On Nov 1st, Calen proposed a question that I have answered many times and usually give the same answers, but my priorities are changing and I have a different answer this time. Here’s the question:
My answers to this question used to be self-centered. I’d pay off my student loans, buy a house in Maine, maybe give my dad a chunk of money, etc. But in the last year or so, there are four causes that have become priorities in my life. I donate to each of these on a small scale, but if I had all that money, they’d each get a $250k donation.
NAMI – National Alliance on Mental Illness
FWV – Futures Without Violence (Domestic Violence)
The Trevor Project – Saving LGBTQ Youth
Standing Rock fight against DAPL
For today’s Inspired! I stand in solidarity with the First Nations people at Standing Rock fighting for water and land against DAPL (Dakota Access Pipeline). Here is a short documentary made about their struggle:
Here are ten ways you can help the First Nations people:
1. Call North Dakota governor Jack Dalrymple at 701-328-2200. When leaving a message stating your thoughts about this subject please be professional.
2. Sign the petition to the White House to Stop DAPL: https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/…/stop-construction…
3. Donate to support the Standing Rock Sioux at http://standingrock.org/…/standing-rock-sioux-tribe…/
4. Donate items from the Sacred Stone Camp Supply List: http://sacredstonecamp.org/supply-list/
5. Call the White House at (202) 456-1111 or (202) 456-1414. Tell President Obama to rescind the Army Corps of Engineers’ Permit for the Dakota Access Pipeline.
6. Contribute to the Sacred Stone Camp Legal Defense Fund: https://fundrazr.com/d19fAf
7. Contribute to the Sacred Stone Camp gofundme account: https://www.gofundme.com/sacredstonecamp
8. Call the Army Corps of Engineers and demand that they reverse the permit: (202) 761-5903
9. Sign other petitions asking President Obama to stop the Dakota Access Pipeline. Here’s the latest to cross my desk – https://act.credoaction.com/sign/NoDAPL
10. Call the executives of the companies that are building the pipeline:
a. Lee Hanse Executive Vice President Energy Transfer Partners, L.P. 800 E Sonterra Blvd #400 San Antonio, Texas 78258 Telephone: (210) 403-6455 Lee.Hanse@energytransfer.com
b. Glenn Emery Vice President Energy Transfer Partners, L.P. 800 E Sonterra Blvd #400 San Antonio, Texas 78258 Telephone: (210) 403-6762 Glenn.Emery@energytransfer.com
c. Michael (Cliff) Waters Lead Analyst Energy Transfer Partners, L.P. 1300 Main St. Houston, Texas 77002 Telephone: (713) 989-2404 Michael.Waters@energytransfer.com