For this week’s Thursday 13, I thought I would share some of my favorite “Gap” moments. “Gap” moments are when you hear or see something that stops you dead in your tracks, forces you to pay attention to it solely, and takes your breath away. For a deeper explanation, check out this interview with Pema Chödrön & k.d. lang.
Here are my 13 favorite “Gap” Moments (in no particular order):
- Joyous Laughter – this is the kind of laughter where you know the person is thoroughly enjoying whatever it is that they are doing. My father and brother’s laughter often makes me stop and reflect. It is a moment of pure pleasure for me. Children’s laughter will do this to me too.
- The Ocean – whether it is by listening to her breathe or just gazing at her majestic waves, I always stop and reflect, breathless and in awe.
- Birds Singing – although all birds singing will make me stop and listen, I am especially keen on the cawing of ravens and crows. They will stop me dead, no matter what I am doing. I will listen, imagine, become them in my mind. This is probably my most favorite “gap” moment.
- Sunrises – the glorious colors of red, orange and pinks put me in sheer awe. It is like watching the Divine paint the sky.
- Sunsets – watching the sky change from bright blue to indigo and splashed with reds and purples leaves me sighing and feels me with inspiration.
- Music – while not all music gives me “gap” moments, I don’t fully know why some does. It could be a melody or the lyrics, a guitar rip or the drums, a sax or piano. When it happens, I may have memory flashes or just feel completely in awe, but I definitely must pay attention.
- Deep Voices – there is just something about a deep voice that makes me stop and listen. It could be on TV, in a Movie, or a Song, or just someone nearby. It doesn’t matter what they are saying. I am not eavesdropping. I am just listening to the tone of their voice.
- Low Flying Planes – this is the only “Gap” moment that I do not find glorious. It creates fear and stops me dead in my tracks. I cannot focus on anything else until it has moved on. I mention it hear because although it causes me to react so badly, I am strangely fascinated by my reaction to it.
- Fire – I both fear and respect fire and whenever I see it anywhere – a fireplace, a candle, or a campfire – I am drawn to it and can lose myself staring into it.
- Chanting – whether it be during meditation, at a Buddhist or Hindu Temple, or in a Witches’ Circle, I am drawn to this sound, stop, reflect, and feel at peace.
- Certain Smells – spices and herbs, some flowers, evergreens, musky cologne or perfume, and Ivory soap… all of these will make me stop and reflect. I am so attracted to these smells. I will have memory flashes or just be in awe.
- Sleeping babies and animals – both of these have the same effect on me. I get lost watching them for as long as possible.
- Reading a Poem or Story with Powerful Imagery – these definitely cause me to stop and reflect, hold my breath, and gasp. I live for these!
How about you? What are some of your favorite “Gap” Moments? Share them with me in comments.