1) 16 tons = 32,000 pounds, because there are 2,000 lbs. to a ton. Without looking it up, do you know how many ounces are in a pound? 16 ounces! My Home-Ec teacher would roll in her grave if I didn’t remember that!
2) The singer describes himself as having “a mind that’s weak and a back that’s strong.” Think about yourself. Which feels more powerful today, your body or your brain? My brain has always been stronger than my mind… I am more of an intellectual than a body builder.
3) The poor chap in this song has money troubles. Are you good at sticking to your budget? For the most part. I am on a fixed income these days, so it is important to stay on budget. In my youth though, I spent money willy-nilly. My motto back then was “I can always make more.”
4) Tennessee Ernie Ford snapped his fingers as he recorded this song. It’s been said that while it’s possible to snap your fingers of both hands, the noise is louder with your “dominant hand.” (So if you’re a rightie, the finger snap will be louder with your right hand.) Try it yourself. Did you find this to be true? Well, it may have been true at one time, but unfortunately, I had blood poisoning in my right hand and wrist in my late teens and nothing works right there anymore. So now, if I want to snap at all, it is with my left hand and yes, it is quite loud!
5) Mr. Ford appeared as “Cousin Ernie” in three episodes of I Love Lucy. What’s your all-time favorite sitcom? While I adore I Love Lucy, my all-time favorite is and always will be M*A*S*H
7) Mr. Ford passed away at age 72 in 1991. That year, Dr. Seuss also died. What’s your favorite Dr. Seuss book? Oh this is a toughie! I loved all of his books. I guess it is a toss-up between Horton Hears a Who and The Lorax
8) Gene Roddenberry also died that year. Mr. Roddenberry is best known as the creator of Star Trek. Who is your favorite Star Trek character? Most definitely Deanna Troi! She was so beautiful, elegant and knowing!
9) Random question: We’re having smoothies. What’s your favorite? I will have a blueberry smoothie with Greek Yoghurt, a shot of wheatgrass, some ground flaxseed and a dash of stevia. Thanks!